Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Speaking with Hands

The room was filled with people. We were asked to mix around so we gingerly filed in and took our seats, dispersed among the crowd. Hands clapping and punching and throwing around frantically in lightning speed, complemented with intense facial and body gesture, along with the occasionally shrieks. I could feel the buzzing energy in the air. Surprisingly, it was rather noisy (in a good way) for a Deaf event. I was at the Diwali gathering for the Deaf with my class mates. It was an assignment for our sign language class to attend a Deaf event.

In the beginning, it was difficult to communicate; obviously there was a language barrier there. It was like being in a foreign country where you do not speak the language. You resort to hand gesturing and pointing. But the trouble was all the pointing and gesturing were indeed the language itself! Here, I could actually make a huge ass out of myself, or worse still, offend the Deaf if I point or gesture with the wrong finger! Therefore, it was a little intimidating as I felt inadequate and ill-equipped to communicate with the Deaf with my limited signs.

I was almost floored looking at them signing fervently to each other, across the room! I think it’s the best way of communicating as the eyes are fixed on the hands and faces while the ears are not distracted easily by the surrounding noises. Signers are totally devoted to each other during a conversation, nothing else and no one else. The intensity and passion is incredible.

Upon knowing that we were learning sign language, the Deaf were definitely helpful and accommodating. They signed slowly and finger spelled to ensure we understand. Somehow I was so overwhelmed that it was such a struggle even to read their finger spelling, let alone sign.

"Just let loose and have fun."

It turned out to be more than an enjoyable evening. It was a very interesting learning exprience and the most fulfiling and best assignment I ever had.

No comments: