Saturday, January 01, 2011

New Year New Dish

Look closely at the square plate on top of the stack. That was raw lamb liver and onion chunks dressed in freshly squeezed lemon juice and mayo-ish dressing. Key words: RAW lamb liver. The locals love it. Apparently it's good for fighting off malaria and asthma.

I was never a big fan of animal innards dishes, what's more if it's raw ones. So upon some serious coaxing and heavy coercing and embarrassingly sissy name calling and rowdy chicken buck-bucking, I picked up a piece, the smallest piece that I could fish out, held it between my thumb and index finger, feeling it's squiggly firmness, then look at it like forever with rowdier and noisy chicken bucking in the background. I tasted it with the tip of my tongue a couple of times like a snake, and finally nibbled the tiniest bite.

Even rowdier cheers erupted.

The fresh lemon juice fragrance and onion sharp scent were refreshing, hiding or wiping out completely the gamy bloody musty smell of the raw liver, which I knew I could not swallow, let alone stomach. But it was quite alright actually, borderline delicious even. I did not gag or throw chunk, as I anticipated. Thank God!

It didn't taste like chicken. It felt more like a lemony savory jelly.

New year, new dish, new adventure, new experience.

No comments: