Monday, May 19, 2008

Cool Uncle Hot Chowder

My almost 3-years-old twin nephews have been camping at my place for about a month now. So I thought I’d play the cool uncle part by making them lunch over the weekend. I made them this simple seafood chowder, quick and painless. More importantly it was tasty, nutritious and healthy.

First of all, dice everything: a few cloves of garlic, an onion, a couple of potatoes, three celery stalks, two fish fillets, handful of de-shelled and de-veined prawns and a few crab sticks. Marinate the meat with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce and set aside.

Next brown all the vegetables in the order above in a pot with a good dollop of butter. Upon smelling the fragrance of the vegetable, empty a can of chicken stock (or a cup of water) into the pot and bring it to a boil before turning it down into a slow simmer for roughly about 10 to 15 minutes, or until the potatoes and the celery turn soft and slightly mushy.

Then put in the fish, crab sticks and finally the prawns. To thicken the chowder, stir in a cup of pure cream. Simmer for another couple of minutes and remove from the heat, as the seafood, the prawns especially, turn chewy if overcooked.

“Oh boys, lunch is ready!”

That was an instant hit. They LOVED it.

Oh, of course I helped myself with a bowl of the seafood chowder, topping it with Parmesan and roasted thin pork rinds I saved from my bacon ham.

Super tasty!

No comments: