Sunday, July 20, 2008

Wild Africa

Excited beyond words!

That's how I felt when my boss told me to pack up for a short gig for work in Nouakchott, Mauritania, northwestern Africa. It was quite a short notice thing, which left me excited beyond words  and panting heavily from rushing around arranging for visa, flight and vaccination jabs. Well, definitely a heck lot more excited than panting.

And of course I shared the wonderful news with my friends.

"Oh cool! Say hi to the elephants to me." A friend joked knowing my Africa trip.

"Beware of the wild beasts." My ex-classmate, C warned me.

"See any lion yet?" My buddy, Y asked me online when I logged on.

I've been here for almost 3 weeks. So far, the wild animals I've seen here are donkeys pulling carts on the street and a bunch of goats. Plus the few peacocks in the office yard. Actually there isn't a big chance for the wild beast encounters as almost 75% of the Mauritanian land is desert. I went to the desert at the edge of Nouakchott over the weekend, well, no camel sighting too. 


No comments: