Sunday, May 06, 2007

Simple Salad, Not!

I had a late breakfast and anticipating a heavy dinner. So I went with a simple salad for lunch.

First I loaded a couple of bacons and a piece of buttered whole wheat bread into the oven to making bacon bits and croutons. While that was happening, I chopped up some lettuce, cherry tomatoes and cucumber. When I got back to my oven, the bacon strips had turned into charcoal strips. Oh crap! The bread taken out and bacon reloaded. Cutting up the bread into small pieces was actually tougher and messier than I thought. The bread crumbled miserably into bits and pieces everywhere. More clean up later. I then just got the bacon out in time and chopped them into bits.

Moving on to the salad dressing, I combined equal part of bacon fat and olive oil, dusted some ground black pepper and some dried herbs, added in a bit of pesto, squeezed in juice of half a lemon, gave them a light whip and threw the veggie in for a quick toss.

Finally, served with croutons, bacon bits and Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

A simple salad made not so simple, after all.

No comments: