Sunday, October 18, 2009

French Revolution

I picked this recipe up from a cook show on TV. But I only learnt the name later while flipping through a cookbook I recently bought. Vol-au-vent is a small round puff pastry hollow case filled with savory fillings such as mushroom, onions, seafood, cheese or meat. In French, literally it means windblown, to describe the lightness of the puff pastry.

Well this is my version of vol-au-vents. It's a little different from the Frenchies. One it's square, and two it's not exactly small. All due to my laziness to cut them into rounds. And due to my laziness again, I use frozen ready-made puff-pastry. Trust me, making it from scratch is simply too much work, not exactly in line with my quick bite philosophy on meals.

Anyway, this is how to make them. Saute crushed garlic, sliced onions and mushrooms in some olive oil. Add in some bacon chips. Drop a dash of worcestershire sauce, pinch of black pepper, and glugs of white wine. Simmer and reduce. That's done for the filling.

For the pastry cases, cut 4 strips of the thawed puff pastry slice and line that around the edge of a new square of puff pastry, building a little pastry fence. Pile up the filling into the the puff pastry square. Sprinkle generously grated parmesan and chili powder before loading it into a hot oven. Bake until the puff pastry fence puff up and turn golden brown.

Vol-au-vent ala Boonsky done!

Bon appetit!

No comments: