Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Fruit Sludge

When I ordered a mango shake during lunch, I was looking forward to a glass of icy cold mango juice with crushed ice, as it was hot out there. In fact it was super hot since 10 in the morning already as I was roaming around the temples in Angkor. I was desperate for something cold, pronto! I was on my second cigarette, and my motor driver already downed half of his icy coke. I was almost dying of thirst.

Truth be told, I was a little annoyed.

After waiting for like an eternity, what I got for ordering a mango shake, was a glass of thick gooey dense yellow pulpy sludge, a glass of refreshingly pure mango sweetness and flavor and goodness, no sugar, no coloring, no water, no ice even! I actually had to asked for the ice separately.
It was so thick and gooey that the straw was stuck unmoved.

It was so dense that the ice cubes I pushed down to the bottom of the glass stayed down at the bottom of the glass.

It was so sludgy that it was quite a drag sucking through the straw.

Cooling and refreshing, hosing down the fire of anger within me. I was again a happy camper!

I turn around to the shop owner and said: "Som tuh, muay tiet. Ock kun" (Please, one more. Thank you.) with a huge smile across my face.

No comments: