Saturday, May 01, 2010

Less

It is the human desire to have more: more toys, more time, more money, more freedom, more love, more everything. There is simply no end to what we want more? Will it ever be enough?

I turn 34 today. Birthday boy gets everything he wants, right? While there are so much that I want more, let’s take a step back, and look at what I want less.

I want to be less judgmental, for not everyone driving faster than me is a maniac and not everyone driving slower than me is an idiot. They speed ahead because there might have been a life-and-death emergency. They drive slowly because they are lost and intimidated by the big city traffic.

I want to be less sarcastic, for it’s said that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. Smart-ass remarks as such aren’t helpful in solving any problem. On the contrary, it can be very hurtful at times.

I want to be less abrasive, for it’s just plain mean, even though I harbour no ill intent. There is a Chinese saying,有话好好说”(you have something to say, say it nicely). Well, if there’s nothing nice to say, just shut the fuck up. Opps…

I want to be less egocentric, for I’m not the king of the universe and the world doesn’t revolve around me. (Well, maybe just one day in a year.) I’m not always right. I don't need to be always right.

Less is more.

Happy birthday to me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday!