Saturday, March 19, 2011

Carpe Diem

I was chatting with my friend BB back at home, online. We were talking about the massively devastating earthquake and tsunami and the nuclear aftermath in Japan. How powerful Mother Nature is, while how small and how insignificant are we. How life is so uncertain, so unpredictable, so fragile and so vulnerable. In a split second, everything is gone. We might not have as much time as we think to do whatever we plan to do tomorrow. Whatever you want to do, the best time to do it is now. There's no time like the present. Procrastination is the devil within us, cooing us into complacency, tricking us into taking things for granted, drifting us from those we love and blinding us from what's matter the most, our dreams.

"What are your dreams?" BB asked me, point blank.

"What are my dreams?" I asked myself, silently.

Spending time with family. Completing a marathon. Going back to school. Publishing a cookbook. Running a patisserie. Traveling. Volunteering. Farming organically.

These are more of a personal fulfillment, my own goal. I must admit they are somewhat selfish. But i think we must first make ourselves happy before we are able to spread our joy to the others.

What's your dream?

Seize the day, make it happen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I am to think about what my dreams would be I would say: FIRST and foremost finding myself to then be able to pay back in many ways family and friends that have supported me through my rough times this year and last, to be in the Olympics to represent myself and all the hard work and sacrifices I have made, to train/teach others in swimming, running, biking and to believe as well, to keep volunteering whether with people or animals, learn to speak fluently in many languages, sail and have a little cafe on the side...perhaps in southern France :)