Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Simple Makes Tasty

This is perhaps the simplest and quickest sandwich I made, whenever I can get hold of the main filling, bak kua. Bak kua is actually barbecued sweet pork slices, pretty similar to jerky. I brought along 2 big packets of these sweet meat to Khartoum coming back from my holiday at home.

Actually, a friend made me this simple sandwich almost a good 12 years ago. Since then I've been tweaking it, perfecting it, by adding cheese and mayo and lettuce and this and that. But I still find the original version the best, simple a piece of bak kua with a thin spread of chili sauce and sliced cucumbers, in between 2 pieces of whole wheat bread. The meat sweetness and smokey-ness balance well with the spicy-ness from the chili sauce, and the sliced cucumbers add a refreshing crunch to every bite.

It takes no time to make it and it take no time to chow it down too.

No comments: